What’s Coming up in Hemp Trends?
The availability of hemp products to consumers is on the rise. This is, in large part, due to the passage of the 2018 Farm Act, which removed hemp from the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration’s list of controlled substances.1
Now the crop falls under the jurisdiction of the Department of Agriculture.1 Since hemp—defined as Cannabis sativa with less than 0.3% tetrahydrocannabinol (THC)—has become a standard agricultural commodity, the Metagenics team is exploring what this means for the latest in hemp trends.
What are some current hemp trends?
Hemp is currently used across many sectors. Consumers can find hemp-based products in industries ranging from personal and animal care to the textile, furniture, food and beverage, paper, construction, personal care, and automotive industries.2
Reports and Data, a widely known market research organization, estimates that by 2026 the hemp industry will be worth $13.03 billion.3 The following areas are projected to be particularly noteworthy for hemp:
The 2018 Farm Act, paired with consumers’ growing focus on sustainability, has prompted clothing companies to hop on the hemp bandwagon.4 Outdoor clothing powerhouse Patagonia, for instance, is selling a full line of garments made from a cotton-hemp blend.5 Denim pioneer Levi Strauss & Co. released apparel made from a similar blend in March 2019, with the brand’s head of innovation Paul Dillinger stating he expects all Levi garments to be made entirely of “cottonized-hemp” by 2024.4
A key part of hemp’s appeal to the clothing industry is that during cultivation, the plant requires fewer chemicals and much less water than cotton.4 For environmentally minded brands—and consumers—it’s the way of the future.
- Personal care
Like the apparel brands described above, personal care companies are embracing hemp more than ever.6 Research shows that both hemp oil (sourced from the hemp plant) and hempseed oil (derived from—you guessed it—the seeds of the hemp plant) are beneficial for the skin.7
Many skincare companies have been using hempseed oil in their products; The Body Shop®, for example, has been using it in its HEMP product line for quite some time now.6 Similarly, Lush Fresh Handmade Cosmetics® touts hemp oil as a key ingredient in its Jasmine and Henna Fluff hair treatment product.6
Can you guess which ingredients star in Dr. Bronner’s® soaps and The Wonder Seed®‘s facial cream? You guessed it: organic hemp oil and hempseed oil, respectively.6
If you’re interested, keep an eye out as other personal care companies add hemp to their lineup.
Available at most health food stores, hemp-based foods also make up a key, rising trend.2 Hempseeds, hemp milk, hemp oil, hemp cheese alternatives, and hemp protein powder promote a number of health benefits. Rich in magnesium, hemp contains all 10 essential amino acids. It is a solid source of plant-based protein and includes quality fats like the omega-6 fatty acid GLA.8
If you are interested in eating hemp-derived foods but don’t know where to start, consider hempseeds. They are simple, yet versatile, and can be sprinkled on oatmeal, yogurt, or even salads.8
As always, discuss any dietary changes with your healthcare practitioner.
The Body Shop® is a registered trademark of The Body Shop International Limited.
Lush Fresh Handmade Cosmetics® is a registered trademark of Cosmetic Warriors Limited.
Dr. Bronner’s® is a registered trademark of All-One-God-Faith, Inc.
The Wonder Seed® is a registered trademark of Theresa Hellings.
- U.S. House of Representatives. The Hemp Farming Act. 2018. https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/5485.
- Comtex Staff. Industrial Hemp Market Size, Status, Top Players, Trends and Forecast to 2028. https://www.marketwatch.com/press-release/industrial-hemp-market-size-status-top-players-trends-and-forecast-to-2028-2019-03-29. MarketWatch. Accessed May 9, 2019.
- Global Newswire Staff. Industrial Hemp Market To Reach USD 13.03 Billion By 2026 | Reports And Data. https://finance.yahoo.com/news/industrial-hemp-market-reach-usd-154050638.html. Yahoo! Finance. Accessed May 9, 2019.
- Feloni, R. Levi’s found a way to make hemp feel like cotton. https://www.businessinsider.com/levis-investing-in-hemp-as-a-cotton-alternative-2019-5. Business Insider. Accessed May 9, 2019.
- Patagonia Staff. Hemp. https://www.patagonia.com/hemp.html. Patagonia. Accessed May 9, 2019.
- Short A. 12 cannabis skincare products worth trying. Los Angeles Times. https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/308044.php. Accessed May 9, 2019.
- Johnson J. Hemp oil benefits list. https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/324450.php. Medical News Today. Accessed May 9, 2019.
- Ware M. What are the health benefits of hemp? https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/308044.php.Medical News Today. Accessed May 9, 2019.
- Answers to the top questions about cannabis extract. https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/answers-to-the-top-questions-about-cannabis-extract. Accessed June 17, 2019.
- Grinspoon P. https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/cannabidiol-cbd-what-we-know-and-what-we-dont-2018082414476. Harvard Medical School. Accessed May 9, 2019.
- Schau J. https://www.cannabisbusinesstimes.com/article/spotlight-hot-hemp-cbd–products-of-2019. Cannabis Business Times. Accessed May 9, 2019.
- Brightfield Group Staff. https://www.brightfieldgroup.com. Brightfield Group. Accessed May 9, 2019.
- Johnson J. https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/317221.php. Medical News Today. Accessed May 9, 2019.
- Nicholson AN et al. J Clin Psychopharmacol. 2004;24(3):305-313.
Submitted by the Metagenics Marketing Team