3 Tips to Doing Detox Right
These days, detoxing has become more important, especially since we're exposed to more and more toxins in our environment that impact our health. If you're considering a detox, it's important to do it right and ensure you safely achieve the desired results.
Here are three easy tips to keep in mind to make the most out of your detox journey:
1. Detox at least twice a year
Our bodies naturally detox—nonstop 24/7— but sometimes they need a little boost due to factors like nutrient deficiencies, stress, and genetics. When the seasons change, a dedicated detox protocol twice a year can be just the thing your body needs to reset. These biannual detox programs can be a bit more rigorous than a gentle daily detox and involve changes to your diet, specific supplements, and lifestyle adjustments. These can last up to 10 days if you're healthy or 28 days for a more thorough reset. Additionally, daily detoxing through healthy eating, getting the right nutrients, and reducing stress is beneficial to your overall wellbeing.
2. Ensure proper nutrition
Making sure you get the right nutrients is key for a good detox. Many people think detoxing means strict fasting or only drinking juices instead of eating. What many people do not realize is that proper detox is just the opposite — an efficient detox requires specific nutrients to effectively eliminate toxins. Even if you eat healthily, it's common not to get all the necessary nutrients you require each day. So, it's essential to have a balanced mix of macronutrients like protein, carbs, fats, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. If you want to detox correctly, skipping proper nutrition will hinder your progress. Taking the right supplements and following a nutrient-rich diet to support your efforts is crucial.
3. Choose a safe detox plan
You'll find tons of detox methods out there -– from extreme fasts to juice cleanses to specific diets and supplements. It seems like everyone has their own detox program to promote. But not all of them are created equal, and some may not have the right nutritional support for your body's specific metabolic detoxification processes. In fact, some could even be unhealthy and cause negative symptoms. With that in mind, an appropriate detox may also provoke some changes in the body that could lead to subtle symptoms, like causing a bit more tiredness or discomfort from caffeine withdrawal. Unfortunately, many detox programs haven't been researched extensively. But in one recent study, Drs. Klein and Kiat published a review of detox diets in the Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics.1 Their findings suggest “there is very little evidence to support the use of these diets.” But here’s the good news: the Clear Change® Program from Metagenics is based on researched protocols with real human subjects. Some studies on these protocols have even been published in scientific literature.2,3 They are not only safe but also proven to be effective.
If you feel tempted to try out the latest detox program, keep this checklist in mind. It’s designed to help you know how often to do a detox, the importance of targeted nutrients, and, most of all, how to ensure your chosen detox is safe and based on good science.
Metagenics offers a variety of metabolic detox products for supporting individual health goals:
- Formulas for 10 day metabolic detox: Clear Change® 10 Day Program with UltraClear® Plus, Clear Change® 10 Day Program with UltraClear® Plus pH, Clear Change® 10 Day Program with UltraClear® RENEW
- Formulas for 28-day metabolic detox: Clear Change® 28 Day Program with UltraClear® Plus, Clear Change® 28 Day Program with UltraClear® Plus pH, Clear Change® 28 Day Program with UltraClear® RENEW
- Formulas to support metabolic detox: AdvaClear®, Candibactin-BR®, GlutaClear®, Renagen™ DTX, Silymarin 80™, SulforaClear, UltraClear®, UltraClear® Plus, UltraClear Plus® pH, UltraClear® RENEW
This content is not intended as a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Individuals should always consult with their healthcare professional for advice on medical issues.
1. Klein AV et al. Detox diets for toxin elimination and weight management: a critical review of the evidence. J Hum Nutr Diet. 2015;28(6):675-686.
2. Lamb JJ et al. Altern Ther Health Med. 2011;17(2):36-44.
3. Bland JS et al. Altern Ther Health Med. 1995;1(5):62-71.